Equality of Opportunity is at the heart of our school!
At Beddington Park Primary School, everyone is different, everyone is unique and everyone is special. If you think about it, that is is the case everywhere, we just wish that more people saw it that way!
Children at Beddington Park Primary are encouraged to recognise and celebrate the myriad of differences that collectively make us each the people that we are.
Equality of opportunity is all too often confused with the need to attempt to do the ‘same’ for everyone. When you think about it, at best, this can only ever result in a compromised ‘one size fits all’ generic approach. We like to look at things differently. Inherent in our approach to equal opportunity is the premise that, rather than doing things ‘irrespective’ of race, ethnicity, culture, background etc, we would prefer to act with full and positive regard to these things, and to all other characteristics which combine to make each of our children the unique and wonderful individuals that they are.
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have ‘due regard’ for the need to:
- “Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010”.
- “Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it”.
- “Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it”.
We are very happy to do this, and categorically state that genuine equality of opportunity to a vibrant, diverse, high quality curriculum and to a safe and secure learning environment will be afforded to all. Learning, lessons, the environment and opportunities will be tailored with the individual needs and experiences of our children in mind. Full and appropriate regard will be given to faith, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, political and economic status and to all other expressions and manifestations of peaceful and caring individuality.
Year on year, published and internal statistics demonstrate that Beddington Park Primary children from across all groups, ethnicities and needs perform very strongly and in many cases significantly exceed any publish national average in this respect. In addition, a wealth of qualitative information regularly flows back into our school about the wonderful, polite and respectful way our children conduct themselves both inside and outside of school.
All these things and more combine to ensure that all are welcome and all can be happy, valued and successful here at Beddington Park Primary!
Comments From Our Community…
- My child is making excellent progress. Very happy with ethos of school. Very dedicated staff – excellent leadership team.
- Very happy with my son’s development at the school. Great staff, lovely school with a lovely atmosphere.
- Best decision I made.
- Very pleased with my son’s progression in his speech, as this was my biggest concern coming into a new school.
- He loves coming in each day.