What is Pupil Premium?
The Department for Education states that, statistically, children from less affluent households tend to have lower academic starting points and lower subsequent attainment than their more affluent counterparts when viewed from a national perspective (at this point, we feel that we need to say that, at Beddington Park Primary, such gaps do not generally exist as all teaching and learning is successfully tailored to the needs, interests and learning styles of our specific children).
In order to help all schools address the statistical imbalance, the government provides extra funding to specific groups of children. In years 1 to 6, this funding amounts to £1320 for each child who:
- Is in receipt of, or has over the past six years ever been in receipt of, free school meals. (Please feel free to contact Mrs Woolmer in the school office for a confidential discussion if you would like to know more about whether you might be eligible and how to apply for free school meals).
There is an increased funding amount of £1900 for any child who is, or ever has been, in local authority care.
Foundation stage children (reception and nursery classes) who are in receipt of free school meals also attract Pupil Premium funding, although this is at a much lower value, the amount being dependent on the total number of foundation stage age children across the local authority.
Finally, there is a ‘Service Pupil Premium’ which is applied to children of serving members of the armed forces. This currently amounts to £300 per child.
Feel free to speak to Mrs Woolmer, if you would like a confidential conversation about how to go about applying for free school meals.
How we use the Pupil Premium Grant at Beddington Park Primary:
At Beddington Park Primary, we will use the Pupil Premium grant to carefully and judiciously enhance the learning of each individual eligible child. We will look at all circumstances, interests and needs and tailor a carefully monitored and evaluated programme to incorporate all of this.
Specifically, we will:
- Ensure that Pupil Premium funding is targeted to support eligible pupils.
- Make reference to the latest research and reports on the effective deployment of funding.
- Involve the governing body in the planning and allocation of the Pupil Premium funding.
- Ensure that the deployment of funding reflects and enhances the learning opportunities for all groups of learners eligible for the fund.
- Include targeted initiatives designed to improve attendance, behaviour and/or the home/school links where any of these present barriers to learning and progress.
- Involve all relevant class teachers and senior leaders in the effective deployment and monitoring of the use of the Pupil Premium funding.
We hope that the information on this page has given you a clear overview of the purpose of the Pupil Premium fund generally, and how we utilise it specifically here at Beddington Park Primary. As with all things, we will always tailor our provision to the specific circumstances, needs and opportunities that are absolutely right for your child! Should you wish to know any more about the Pupil Premium grant here at Beddington Park Primary, please feel free to contact us!
Comments From Our Community…
My child is making excellent progress. Very happy with ethos of school. Very dedicated staff – excellent leadership team.
Very happy with my son’s development at the school. Great staff, lovely school with a lovely atmosphere.
Best decision I made.
Very pleased with my son’s progression in his speech, as this was my biggest concern coming into a new school.
He loves coming in each day.